Our Society was formed by people with these conditions hoping to help others. We know and understand the difficulty that people with ME and FM face, whether it is trying to find supportive and appropriate medical care, dealing with friends and family, or looking for a support group. Living with ME and/or FM is not easy. These conditions can be very disabling and often have a devastating effect on people’s lives. They are often lifelong. Many people are unable to work, enjoy their usual activities, or even look after themselves and their families. Our goal is to help. While we all await new developments in research and treatment, we hope to help you find ways to improve the quality of your life.
Thank you for visiting our website.
What is the ME|FM Society of BC?
The ME|FM Society of BC was formed in 2004 following the amalgamation of the Fibromyalgia Society of BC and the ME Society of BC. We are a not-for-profit organization that was formed to help and support people, and their families, living with the health conditions Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), and/or Fibromyalgia (FM).
We have helped thousands of people in British Columbia and elsewhere, understand their illnesses and seek and obtain appropriate medical help and treatments to improve their health and quality of life.
What is the Mission of the ME|FM Society of BC?
The purposes of the ME|FM Society of BC are to:
- Educate, inform and increase awareness of ME and FM by offering information, support and advocacy to members, individuals and families;
- Provide information and education to physicians, other medical professionals, and the community at large; and to increase public awareness of ME and FM;
- Promote ongoing medical research to encourage early, accurate diagnosis and effective multi-disciplinary treatments for ME and FM;
- Liaise with other individuals, groups, and organizations dealing with similar illnesses.
What specifically does the Society do?
In order to achieve our Mission, the ME|FM Society of BC:
- Operates a BC toll free Help and Information phone line for Members and Non-Members calling for help and support
- Provides patient information free of charge for anyone newly diagnosed with ME or FM
- Provides contact information for medical specialists who are able to help with the diagnosis and treatment of the health conditions. Unfortunately, this list is very short.
- Provides community and support group contacts all across BC for people to access help in their local area
- Serves on the Community Advisory Committee of the Complex Chronic Diseases Program at the BC Women’s Hospital in Vancouver.
- Collaborates with Patient & Community Partnership for Education at UBC.
- Offer educational and awareness raising workshops in the community.
- Collaborates with other ME and FM national and international organizations.
- Has distributed over 1500 copies of the Overviews of the Canadian Consensus Documents for the Diagnosis and Treatment of both ME and FM to Family Practitioners, Rheumatologists and Neurologists across BC
- Publishes a semi-annual newsletter, News & Views for Members
- Attends appropriate events and promote awareness with the general public, medical professionals and other health providers
- Holds an Annual General Meeting providing an opportunity for the ME/FM community to come together and hear guest speakers on trends in diagnosis and treatments
- Provides access to advocacy support for people dealing with the complexities and difficulties of applying for and obtaining income support such as LTD and CPP
- Organizes May Awareness Event for Members and the healthcare community to learn about new trends and developments directly from medical professionals
How does the Society fund its activities?
The ME|FM Society of BC finances its activities through membership fees and tax deductible donations. Membership fees represent about 50% of our revenues and without our membership we could not continue our work. The majority of the activities of the Society are undertaken by a small, dedicated group of volunteers. The Society is a registered charity and all donations over $10 are tax receipted.
We rely on donations to support our efforts.
We are looking to grow our membership, please encourage others to join and encourage them to donate. We have also received estate donations in the past, so please consider us in leaving your legacy.
Annual Membership in the ME|FM Society of BC is $25 which includes our Newsletter.
We are attempting to move all our processes to digital and online to reduce many of our costs and use less paper. If you cannot receive e-mail, we will send you newsletters and membership info via post. Please let us know if you require mail by post.
For more information, contact:
ME|FM Society of BC
PO Box 462 - 916 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1K7